February was a month with ups and downs in various aspects of my life, and I’m not entirely sure how I feel about it…. so let’s just talk about books.
I was in a huge romance mood at the start of the month but two less-than-great ones made me turn to fantasy again (and fantasy romance). I also made a TBR at the beginning of the month and I actually read most of them, that’s a surprise, but I’m not sure I’ll keep making possible TBRs regularly this year.
I read 11 books this month.
- Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan ⭐⭐⭐⭐
- The Last Fallen Star by Gracie Kim ⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Beach Read by Emily Henry ⭐⭐⭐⭐
- DNF – Burning Up by Jennifer Blackwood *
- The Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons ⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Amor à Primeira Assinatura by Leonor Ferrão** ⭐⭐⭐
- House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. Maas (reread)
- ARC: Gallant by V.E. Schwab ⭐⭐⭐.5
- Rise of the Dragons by Angie Sage ⭐⭐.5
- ARC: Anyway I’m Falling in Love with You vol. 01 by Haruka Mitsui ⭐⭐⭐
- The Ex Talk by Rachel Lynn Solomon ⭐⭐⭐.5
*Not sure why that DNF is showing up on my reading challenge when it usually doesn’t, what’s up with that Goodreads?
**A Portuguese romance short story/novella that left a lot to be desired. The review (in Portuguese) is on GR.
My favorite books this month (not counting my reread of HOEAB), were Beach Read and The Ruin of Kings. The former has been sitting on my shelves for a year and I’ve tried reading many times before it was apparently the right time at last. And, with The Ruin of Kings, I sort of got it on a whim, it was cheap and I barely knew what it’s about but this book seriously hooked me and I’m hoping to read the next book in the series soon! My least favorites were, of course, the DNF, and Rise of the Dragons – it’s the first time I’ve felt negatively towards an MG book and I’m more than a little surprised with myself, for setting up myself like that with all the expectations I had for it.
I also participated in two buddy reads this month and a readathon that were pretty fun (though one for RotD which wasn’t great) and I’m looking forward to my next buddy read with this friend soon!
RECENT BOOK HAUL
JANUARY HAUL: Besides the first one, I got all of these on awesomebooks for great prices! I’m a bit more careless when buying used books, and I even try different genres or authors I wouldn’t otherwise, though in this case I meant to buy at least 3 of these for a while, and almost all are epic fantasy.
- One by One – Ruth Ware
- Rise of Dragons – Angie Sage (READ)
- The Ruin of Kings – Jenn Lyons (READ)
- Half a King – Joe Abercrombie
- The Midnight Library – Matt Haig
- The Path of Daggers – Robert Jordan
- Cry Wolf – Patricia Briggs
- The Grace of Kings – Ken Liu
- Squid Game – Park Minjoon (gifted*)
FEBRUARY HAUL: guess who took another day trip to a beautiful beach town? I visited two indie bookstores this day, where I bought two new books and I even managed to find a used book (The Well of Ascension 2€ omg) at a little park fair that was going on at the time.
- The Well of Ascension – Brandon Sanderson
- The Way of Kings: part 1 – Brandon Sanderson
- The Ex Talk – Rachel Lynn Solomon
- House of Sky and Breath – Sarah J. Maas
THIS MONTH ON THE BLOG
I tried to make it more romance-themed this month, and I’m very happy with everything I posted and with the record stats my blog achieved this month (in terms of views at least). I hope to continue growing this blog this year, whilst simultaneously keeping this a chill hobby that won’t give me more anxiety.
- January Wrap Up 2022
- February TBR: my possible reading list for next month!
- Cover Reveal: The Liar’s Crown by Abigail Owen
- Review: The Spanish Love Deception
- Review: It Happened One Summer by Tessa Bailey
- 22 Romance Novels to Read in 2022
- Review: The Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons
- Recommending you my favorite romances of 2021! (+ mini-reviews)
- ARC Review: Gallant by V. E. Schwab